Old 16-07-2013, 03:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
sacha sacha is offline

Default Watering

On 2013-07-16 14:53:05 +0100, Broadback said:

On 16/07/2013 14:35, Spider wrote:
On 16/07/2013 09:46, Sacha wrote:
Yes, I know I've banged on about 'thank heaven we put the borehole in'
but....a few weeks ago the pump broke down and it took a week to get
another and fit it. During that week, we had to use mains water and last
night Ray told me it cost £500! So it is indeed 'thank heaven for that
borehole'!! I believe our water board is one of the most expensive in
the country but even so! Think of how much we must all cost ourselves if
we waste any - taps left running during teeth brushing, letting it run
down the sink while waiting for it to heat are just two that come to
mind.

That sounds like a difficult -and expensive- week.
We both try to be very good with water. When there's a hosepipe ban I
collect all the water from cleaning veg and salad stuff ... collect cold
'hot' water (iyswim) ... collect the cat's stale drinking water and even
cooking water if there's no salt in it. It is then used on plants that
are particularly stressed. I also keep a bucket of fresh water outside
for the cats to drink, so that's a good drenching for some poor plant.
It really does make a difference. In fact, I should be doing it now,
because I'm sure we're overdue a hosepipe ban. Bustles off to find
bucket .....

Well Sacha, after all it is a business, you will no doubt claim it as a
tax expense, which will reduce the cost somewhat. The government
recognise that the SW of the country have high water costs, and
purportedly are doing something about it.
As regards car washing and hose being synonymous the major supermarkets
have car washers that use virtually no water, they seem to make a good
job.

I must check whether we can claim it against taxes though that doesn't
actually help at the time! We use mains water in the house and are
very careful about how much of that we use, too and yes, I hope the
government or SWW does do something about it but that doesn't help in
the past or the present, either, for us or anyone else. I'm not having
a grumble because these things happen, pumps break and in our case
plants have to be watered, or it's a disaster. What I'm aiming to show
is how expensive water is and how much many of us take it for granted
as 'free'. And we very, very rarely wash our cars at home but go to
the local Morrisons car wash. That was expensive last time as Ray
started filling my car's diesel tank with petrol. But that's another
story!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com