Old 16-07-2013, 05:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Terry Fields Terry Fields is offline

Default Watering

David Hill wrote:

On 16/07/2013 09:46, Sacha wrote:

Yes, I know I've banged on about 'thank heaven we put the borehole in'
but....a few weeks ago the pump broke down and it took a week to get
another and fit it. During that week, we had to use mains water and
last night Ray told me it cost £500!

Flushing the Loo every time it is used (If it's yellow let it mellow, if
it's brown flush it down)
If you flush 5 times less per day you save over 3500 gallons a year.

Not always a good idea!

We tried it here, and the drains blocked, costing £shedloads to have
them cleared. There are similar stories about... One story I recall is
of someone whose neighbours did this, leading to expensive
drain-unblocking every three months. We costed it here and it's
cheaper to flush the loo each time. So far...so good.

It seems that in some circumstances some house drains need more water
going through them than is immediately obvious.

--
Terry Fields