Old 16-07-2013, 11:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
sacha sacha is offline

Default Cutting lawns - why?

On 2013-07-16 14:38:53 +0100, Gary Woods said:

Sacha wrote:

I remember one house

had an enormous lawn, in full view of the public passing by and on

which nobody would want to sit, as a result. He told us that this kind

of thing was deeply unpopular with the Cretans who were used to

conserving every drop of water to use on useful food giving plants!

Not limited to Europeans: I remember touring the Rosicrutians'

headquarters in San Jose, California.... several acres of lush lawn with

built in sprinklers that watered every night, since the area only gets

meaningful rain in the spring. More sensible folk used various succulents

for landscaping; a restaurant I dined at several times had a beautiful

hedge of Jade plants.

Before I sold the house I owned when I met Ray, I let it to an American

from New Mexico. She told me that every shrub in her garden had its

own drip feed. Perish the thought of planting what was suitable to the

conditions!

--
Sacha

Every plant in our garden has to pass the 'Spartan baby on the mountain test'.
Though we will water until new plants are established.
Rod

That seems the way to go to me! Usually, in UK, it's more often a case
of things dying from too much wet, so we adjust our planting
accordingly and in that respect, gardeners in this country are (mostly)
rather lucky.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com