Old 16-07-2013, 11:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
sacha sacha is offline

Default Ladybirds

On 2013-07-15 15:42:01 +0100, David Rance said:
-
Did I read somewhere recently that there aren't many ladybirds around
this year?

There certainly are now!

....and damsel flies.

David-

Still no ladybirds but quite a few of the common blue damsel flies.
We're awaiting the arrival of something classier! ;-)

Sacha

It was red damsel flies I saw quite a few of at the weekend, which are
not a very common sight. Not seen any ladybirds. Something has been
eating the aphids on my roses, though I expect it is hoverflies, I think
they do more to keep the aphids down than ladybirds. But my cardoon (I
grow it as a decorative in the flowerbed) is heavily covered in blackfly
now, nothing seems to want to eat them. My daughter got stung by a
bumblebee while picking some peas yesterday. There seem to be a lot of
bumblebees around now after the dearth earlier in the year.

Several more blue damselfies seen today, is the male green? One
'hitched' pair had that combination, or so it seemed. Our cardoons are
clear of blackflies so far (handsome plnts aren't they?) but the Phlox
are getting them, I think. Closer inspection tomorrow.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com