Old 17-07-2013, 10:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pam Moore[_2_] Pam Moore[_2_] is offline

Default Green Manure

On 17 Jul 2013 06:48:20 GMT, Derek Turner wrote:

I'm researching no-dig methods which recommend never leaving the soil in
my new allotment bare. I've now narrowed the non-dig manures down to
field beans, phacelia and douglasii as appropriate to the rotation.

Question. The peas/beans and brassica beds are going to be mostly bare
(at soil level) for most of the time. Is it a good idea to underplant,
and if so with what?

thanks for any thoughts/experience.

Derek

Phacelia and limnanthes (douglasii) are very pretty and attract
insects. Sow them wherever you have bare soil.
The best results of green manuring I ever had were when I planted
mustard after broad beans and potatoes, and just covered the lot with
black plastic in autumn and left it alone. In Spring when I uncovered
the plot I had some dandelions and bindweed looking pale, but lovely
friable soil. You could do the same with other green manures.
I've planted some green manures in the gullies between the rows of
potatoes and dug them in when digging up the potatoes.
All in the past as sadly I've given up my allotment.

Pam in Bristol