Old 17-07-2013, 02:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
indigo indigo is offline

Default Cutting lawns - why?

"Chris Hogg" wrote
I'm encouraging clover to grow in my er...'lawn'. Stays short, stays
green in dry conditions and has flowers that bees etc like. ATM there
are patches of clover (green) and patches of grass with no clover
(beginning to go brown). To encourage the clover everywhere, I use one
of those bulb planter things to cut a clover-bearing plug and swap it
with a plug from a grass-only patch, and the clover then spreads
sideways. I also reckon it's softer to walk on if kept a little on the
long side, rather than bowling-green short.

Lovely! Pink and white clover always reminds me of the old fashioned
coconut ice my gran used to make.

Will you try other things too? Yarrow would stay green and flower with
only short stems on an infrequently mowed lawn and you could have
bird's-foot trefoil to add yellow, speedwell for blue and self-heal for
purple. I've tried the latter once or twice in my wilder area but our
land just dries out too much here to keep it going over summer.

I'd have a lawn with all those things and some daisies for daisy-chains
but my Other Half won't hear of it, even though our so called lawn dries
to a crisp practically every summer. He seems to enjoy all that weeding
'n' feeding and raking of moss and mowing to get ruler-straight stripes.

I'd much rather have nice green clover with bees bumbling around in it
than a stripey lawn that goes brown in summer but there's no convincing
him.
--
Sue