Old 17-07-2013, 05:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
sacha sacha is offline

Default Cutting lawns - why?

On 2013-07-16 13:03:13 +0100, Jeff Layman said:

On 16/07/2013 09:13, David.WE.Roberts wrote:
Just to note that despite the hot, dry weather and the forecast that this
may go on for a long time people are still cutting lawns to almost bare
earth for some reason.

Probably in the hope that all the grass will be completely removed,
thus ending the need to do any mowing once and for all.

Is there a more environmentally unfriendly garden plant than lawn grass?

About 6 years ago I was considering building a little house in Crete. I
didn't in the end but we were taken around by the architect to show us
what various foreigners had built above Elounda. I remember one house
had an enormous lawn, in full view of the public passing by and on
which nobody would want to sit, as a result. He told us that this kind
of thing was deeply unpopular with the Cretans who were used to
conserving every drop of water to use on useful food giving plants!
This house belonged to a German family, so it wasn't a manifestation of
the British passion for lawns! And they'd built the house as an exact
replica of their house in Germany, complete with a vast wall encircling
it. Home from home, I suppose!

West Berliners?

I don't know. I'm afraid Germans are still unpopular in Crete, so I'm
not sure any more detail was known or desired.

I referred to the house being encircled by a vast wall.

Duh! Sorry, I didn't get that one.

Germans maybe unpopular in Crete but else where in Greece there are
places where Germans are popular, just as they were in some parts of
Greece during WWII. On the west coast of the Peloponnese Germans are
popular to the point where Greek children are sent to Germany to be
educated.

Could be. I just know it's not the case in Crete, though obviously one
can hope things change over the passage of more years.

--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com