Old 18-07-2013, 03:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Huuuuuuge moth

"David Hill" wrote in message
On 11/07/2013 22:56, wrote:
Saw one of these today:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sphinx_ligustri

Doesn't look like it's particularly unusual, I've just never seen one
before. It was like a small pink bat!

You should see their caterpillars

I had the Elephant Hawk moth a while ago, and my cat brought some
caterpillars in believing they were mice or something. He has now learnt
that they aren't and doesn't do it now.
They are massive caterpillars and he brought them in mainly unharmed so they
were released.
any cat worth his salt whose job is rat patrol here can be excused about
bringing a huge caterpillar back. Because, tbh, he's a bit of of a wimp
and he only does mice or baby rats fresh out of the nest. But he did get
four baby rats in one day last week, and like I always say It prevents them
growing up.
If they grow up, it's time for the terriers.