Old 18-07-2013, 03:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
sacha sacha is offline

Default Cutting lawns - why?

On 2013-07-18 10:04:07 +0100, Martin said:

On Wed, 17 Jul 2013 17:36:07 +0100, Janet wrote:

In article ,
lid says...

On Tue, 16 Jul 2013 13:03:13 +0100, Jeff Layman
wrote:

On 16/07/2013 09:13, David.WE.Roberts wrote:
Just to note that despite the hot, dry weather and the forecast that this
may go on for a long time people are still cutting lawns to almost bare
earth for some reason.

Probably in the hope that all the grass will be completely removed, thus
ending the need to do any mowing once and for all.

Is there a more environmentally unfriendly garden plant than lawn grass?

The weeds that grow on lawns?

There's nothing "unfriendly to the environment" about the common lawn
weeds which feed pollinating insects.

You missed my virtual sarcasm smiley.
There's nothing environmentally unfriendly about any part of a lawn.

I noticed that local authorities in the north of England that have not
cut grass verges have not produced wild flower meadows, but have
produced lots of rag wort, cow parsley, rape seed and in some places
mile after mile of giant hog weed

Perhaps other things would come along in time if they're able to
self-seed? Our hedgerows and verges are overflowing with vetch,
honeysuckle, dog roses, meadowsweet and ferns. Stretches of the A38 do
get ragwort but it's a handsome plant and so is cow parsley, imo.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com