Old 18-07-2013, 06:29 PM posted to rec.gardens
John McGaw John McGaw is offline

Default what to do with turnip greens?

On 7/18/2013 12:32 AM, Todd wrote:
Hi All,

Got me a forest of Golden Globe Turnips growing in
the garden:

http://www.rareseeds.com/golden-globe/

Tried eating one of the leaves a week ago. Hmmmm.
Okay. Interesting tastes. I can see where all
the remarks about feeding turnips greens to livestock
come from. One of those run your tongue under
a hose for five minutes and then try to ignore the
after taste experiences. Oh my!

If I can not figure out a way to make the greens
palatable (I have a post on a cooking group on
that subject), what to do with them? Hold them till
the end of the season and dig them under? Trash can?

Many thanks,
-T

My friend's iguana absolutely loved that sort of green. She (the iguana,
not my friend) was getting up toward 6 feet the last time I saw her so they
must be pretty nutritious regardless of the taste.

Lacking an bunch of animals to eat them, composting always works.