Old 18-07-2013, 08:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Roger Tonkin[_2_] Roger Tonkin[_2_] is offline

Default Feeding tomatoes

In article ,
says...

During staff tea someone was asking Ray about tomatoes. He said that a
long time ago he'd been asked by the boffin at the Lea Valley
Experimental Station to go along and watch hydroponically grown tomato
plants being watered. At a certain point they simply stopped taking up
the nutrients and this man had observed this for just a week. He was
the first to show that tomato plants only 'feed' in the mornings and
that's why we're advised to water and feed them then.

Duh,

Having just come back from almost a month away, I find
I did it wrong! (once more)

Not knowing any better, I set my watering system to
water twice a day, half an hour morning and evening
whereas it looks as if they should have had an hour in
the morning.

never mind, they've survived, must start the feeding
regime now

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales