Old 18-07-2013, 09:28 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacha View Post

Thanks, Kay, we've certainly seen a few pairs looking for somewhere to
lay eggs, flitting around the ponds and causing a flurry of delighted
shrieks from children who spot them. They're such pretty little
flashes of irridescence.
-
A bit earlier in the year you can see them emerging - the larvae crawl out of the water, then slit their case and the adult emerges and clings to the vegetation for a few ours while they pump up their wings and get ready to fly - a vulnerable time for them. And if you look carefully on stems and leaves of emergent plants you may find lots of discarded exo-skeletons - looking just like the damselfly larvae in the pond, but empty!

One year I was lucky enough to find 3 cases of the much bigger dragon fly larvae on the pond just outside my study window.