Old 19-07-2013, 10:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Marguerite - or not?

On 19/07/2013 21:33, Jim S wrote:
I bought a plant today labelled Marguerite, but it is not what I
remember,as a child. It's nice enough, with daisy-like flowers, blueish
feathery leaves and about 14" tall. I think it may be Argyranthemum and if
so is not hardy.
The Marguerite I remember as a child was taller with bigger flowers, dark
green smooth pointed leaves, hard stems and an odd smell. I would have
suggested a type of chrysanthemum, but I have grown many types of 'show'
chrysanths and they all had dull 'lobed' leaves.
Any ideas?

I don't doubt that the plant you bought is Marguerite syn.
Argyranthemum, which is extremely pretty, a good bedding plant, but not
hardy.

I am fairly sure that the plant you remember from childhood is the
Shasta Daisy or Leucanthemum x superbum:-

http://www.shootgardening.co.uk/plan...rbum-te-killin

There are a number of good forms around. They all seem to be 'good
doers', are perennial and have that characteristic aroma. The leaves
are dark green, somewhat pointed and toothed rather than lobed. The
plant makes handsome clumps very quickly and are easily divided, so
everyone was given a bit, which is why you remember it so well. I also
remember it being called 'Moon Daisy', 'Dog Daisy' and Marguerite so I
can easily understand the confusion.

Hope this helps.

--
Spider