Old 21-07-2013, 08:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Peter James[_6_] Peter James[_6_] is offline

Default Clematis wilt

Bob Hobden wrote:

"Jeff Layman" wrote

Just had a "Vyvyan Pennell" curl up as it was about to flower. :-(

A couple of weeks ago a small x triternata rubra went down. Not sure if
that was wilt or not, but the hot weather won't help matters with
early-morning high humidity.

Anyone else had their clematis suffering from wilt?

(A question for Charlie. Is there anything the professionals can use to
prevent or treat it? Or is there nothing available even to commercial
growers?)

I've lost two over the last few years, this year a large blue half died as
it got to flower bud stage but the other half seems to be OK. Yet a blue I
bought from Charlie years ago is making a good job of attacking next doors
Leylandii Hedge and certainly improving it's look.
I think it's to do with lack of water at the roots during the early part of
the year which is why I installed a seep hose system right around our
garden.

We lost one a few years ago. The nursery told us to ensure that the
roots were shaded after planting. So we shield the roots with two old
house tiles. We've never lost one since, and we have four in the
garden.

--
-
The e-mail address obviously doesn't exist. If it's essential