Old 21-07-2013, 03:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike'[_4_] 'Mike'[_4_] is offline

Default Newbie from Manchester - Please help!

""" I know it must be a pain having a complete beginner ask potentially
obvious questions"""

There are only a few here who were never beginners, but knew everything from
the start.

Mike

"bluemoon 1502" wrote in message

Thank you for all the advice given, I have read and understood it. The
area is triangular in shape, 8m wide going to 3m wide and 13m in length.
It's not that I don't like gardening, more that I've never had a garden
to do any gardening in! To be honest I find it quite exciting that I
have a nice challenge on my hands. At the moment it's just a bit
overwelming because there is so much that needs doing, it's difficult to
know where to begin! On Friday i cut the grass, yesterday I trimmed the
privets back by about 2ft on each side of the garden, today I will take
about 3ft off the tops of them as they are probably in excess of 10ft
tall. At the moment you can't really see any leaves as they've been cut
back so much. I'm guessin that if I keep trimming them back, then the
leaves will learn to grow at the point where I've trimmed back to and
the bushes will become more tame?

As for the ground.. It is uneven to the point that I would imagine it
could be quite difficult to push a lawn mower over it. On top of that,
since cutting the grass on Friday, I have found various lengths of wire
mesh, a hammer, a gardening trowel and numorous pieces of wood have
pushed through to the surface which the previous owner must have lost
within the growth. I feel digging it up and levelling it out is my only
option here. I'm thinking that if I take 6'' off the top then I will
unearth any other hidden tools and wood, also I will be able to level
the ground to make it easier to cut the grass with a lawn mower. So with
that in mind, would the recommendation be to spray the area with
glyphosate (as suggested by Jake) before I do any digging? In which case
would I be able to use the soil that I have dug out to level the ground
with since the glyphosate should of killed the grass and weeds or have i
misunderstood something here? In which case I will get rid of what I
have dug out and get fresh top soil to put down. I am just trying to
work out the most cost effective way of doing it. Again I understand
that the garden will need maintaining in order to keep the weeds out as
it will be near impossible to kill ALL of the weeds and any seeds which
have blown in, only there is a fair bit of work which needs doing before
I get to the stage of 'maintaining' as appose to actually getting the
garden in order. I will look into getting grass seed or turf nearer the
end of summer but or now I will take it 1 step at a time..

Again thank you for all the advice given. I know it must be a pain
having a complete beginner ask potentially obvious questions but I
appreciate and take in all the advice. Thanks 😊

--
bluemoon 1502