Old 22-07-2013, 09:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] JonH@Underthewagon.net is offline

Default A plea for help with Carrot fly

On Mon, 22 Jul 2013 08:30:15 +0100, (Peter
James) wrote:

This year in my allotment I have again suffered with carrott fly.

I've tried a lot of the growing methods by growing under fleece,
planting altenate rows with other plants, jeyes fluid watered on the
crop and this year covering with grass clippings.

Nothing seems to work, and to add embarrassment to dismal failure last
night, whilst watering the plot my wife tripped and fell over and into
the fleece covered carrot rows. She caused quite extensive damage for
such a small woman! The damage caused gave us the opportunity to check
the crop only to find, yes you guessed, carrot fly.

So next year I guess the only alternative will be a raised covered bed
or no carrotts. At 76 I really don't fancy making a raised bed with all
the hassle of transporting earth in a wheel barrow.

So, my plea is this. Is there any product on the market that can be
used to deter this little beast. Years ago I used "Bromophos" and that
worked so well the EEC banned it.

Does anyone on the group use any other product with any degree of
success?

Peter

I have read that sowing carrots in pots or raised beds can help.
Allegedly cf don't venture very high above the ground. Also get rid
of thinnings, cf can (again allegdley) smell them for miles. Lastly,
ISTR seeing mention of a cf resistant variety.

This year I got pitiful germination but so far, I've had no cf
problems. Mine are in the middle of a 300mm raised bed but it should
be said they are now shielded by a forrest of tomato plants.

HTH
JonH