Old 22-07-2013, 12:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Baz[_3_] Baz[_3_] is offline

Default A plea for help with Carrot fly

Derek Turner wrote in news:b54farFe6cmU1
@mid.individual.net:

On Mon, 22 Jul 2013 09:19:01 +0000, Baz wrote:

What has always worked for me, is to make up a timber frame to length
and breadth you want it to be, but it MUST be at least 700mm high. The
fly does not fly above that.

Wot 'e said and use seed-tapes so that you don't need to thin.

Thinning has now't to do with it. The fly WILL get to them without thinning
How do I know? I have tried sowing and not thinning, and the fly was there.
How they find them is a mystery to me, but they find them.
To sum up : You have to use the barrier method. (stop them getting in)

Baz