Old 22-07-2013, 02:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ted Bear Ted Bear is offline

Default A plea for help with Carrot fly

On Mon, 22 Jul 2013 08:30:15 +0100, (Peter
James) wrote:

So, my plea is this. Is there any product on the market that can be
used to deter this little beast. Years ago I used "Bromophos" and

that
worked so well the EEC banned it.

Does anyone on the group use any other product with any degree of
success?

What you want is a Carrot-fly trap. They are quite simple, you just
neet a container with a hole they will go into and not find easily on
the way out. I use a bit of plastic wrap as a lid, with a hole poked
into it with a pencil.

And bait inside, of course; curiously enough a fellow who works at
HIFI suggested fish, of all things; particularly eptatretus burgeri
from an oriental food store called Jing-Jing's. It works a treat but
you may not want to be downwind.