Old 25-04-2003, 10:45 PM
Richard Roocroft

Default legal or illegal?

In message , shannie
writes
Walking among the fields today a few miles from home I came upon two
planning notices for houses on posts outside two different fields. Whilst
walking through these fields I noticed many many primroses naturalised in
the ditches. I know it's illegal to remove them, but when the diggers move
in they will be destroyed. If I aquired the owners permission would it be
legal for me to remove them and put them inside and outside in my own
ditches. My gardens are surrounded on all sides by blackberry ditches and
there are some there already low down among the ferns. I love to see these
wonderful spring flowers in the wild and hate the idea of the diggers moving
in and mowing them down.

Thanks
Shan

Have you seen what you've started ??!!

))))

If there's no apparent property or owner attached to this land, in other
words, no door to knock and ask permission, then here's what *I'd* do :

Discreetly get yer trowel & some clear plastic bags, perhaps a small
plastic bottle of water to keep them damp 'til you get home, and.......

Get Them Dug Up !!!!!

If there's that many, you won't be there long taking just a few, but you
certainly will be preserving beautiful flowers for others to admire in
your garden. No real harm will have been done. Indeed, if you were
approached by the owner, it would be an ideal time to ask if your
family, friends and neighbours could come & help themselves. He could
even, perhaps, attract good publicity in the local paper as being a
green-fingered, caring member
of the community.

About 15 years ago, when on a day trip, we noticed a magnificent
bluebell wood. It was that overrun, they were making their way into the
roadside verge. It didn't take long to dig just 5 or 6 up - they all
survived. Having planted them individually I now must have over 100 in a
comparatively small garden, and have gladly given clumps to neighbours
who also enjoy them.

For Heaven's Sake, save the plants from the Bulldozer !!

Regards to all green fingers.....

Roo.

--
Richard Roocroft