Old 23-07-2013, 04:29 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
joevan[_3_] joevan[_3_] is offline

Default Crocosmia, probably 'Lucifer'

On Tue, 23 Jul 2013 14:47:51 +0100, Mad Cow
wrote:

In article , Mad Cow
writes
It was hot today...

[ A UUEncoded file (z_Crocosmia_6242.JPG) was included here. ]

Wow - that's definitely not a Crocosmia - you can trust me on this.

When the pods open will there be shiny black berries inside?
If so it's Iris domestica, formerly called Belemcanda chinensis.
Common names include blackberry iris, leopard lily.

If not, could you describe the leaves and the seeds? It does look like
a member of the Iridaceae, a huge family but luckily I know an expert.

Anyway it's far more desirable than any Crocosmia! One Crocosmia
hybrid's an invasive weed, especially in Ireland where it blocks
drainage ditches, and in gardens they can be really hard to get rid of.

A few bulbs came from the Pa horticultural Soc. Plant share. They were
marked crocosmia when I got them, maybe 20 years ago. They have black
berries after blooming. I always thought they were what they were
marked as. Thanks, maybe the person who gave them got it wrong.