Old 24-07-2013, 12:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Baz[_3_] Baz[_3_] is offline

Default Billhook

"Christina Websell" wrote in
:

I dug one up in my garden a while ago, very rusty and with no handle.
I got a kind friend of mine to sharpen it on her grindstone and have
it back suitable to slash anything in its path. Just need a new
handle and watch out those brambles ;-) My friend says if I can get a
new handle, she will cut the top stop off and put it on for me.
Here we call them "hedge splashers"
Mine has a top blade too.

They are an amazing price to buy on the internet:
http://www.timelesstools.co.uk/billhooks3.htm

Tina

I am surprised that you can buy them over the internet!
A very dangerous tool in the wrong hands.
I have seen them at car boot markets and always assumed that they were a
butchers tool. Especially the ones which have chopper like an axe on the
back of them.

Baz