Old 25-07-2013, 02:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
RustyHinge RustyHinge is offline

Default Billhook

On 23/07/13 19:08, Christina Websell wrote:

I dug one up in my garden a while ago, very rusty and with no handle.
I got a kind friend of mine to sharpen it on her grindstone and have it back
suitable to slash anything in its path. Just need a new handle and watch
out those brambles ;-) My friend says if I can get a new handle, she will
cut the top stop off and put it on for me.
Here we call them "hedge splashers"

Slashers, ITYF

Mine has a top blade too.

Proper billhook. (Hatchet-on-a-stick)

Slasher handles *can* be obtained from old-fasioned ironmongers. Hickory
is best - I always manage to break ash handles in pretty short order,
even when linseed-oiled..

--
Rusty Hinge