Old 25-07-2013, 02:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
RustyHinge RustyHinge is offline

Default Billhook

On 2013-07-23 21:35:40 +0100, Christina Websell said:

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
On 23/07/13 19:08, Christina Websell wrote:
I dug one up in my garden a while ago, very rusty and with no handle.
I got a kind friend of mine to sharpen it on her grindstone and have
it back
suitable to slash anything in its path. Just need a new handle and
watch
out those brambles ;-) My friend says if I can get a new handle,
she will
cut the top stop off and put it on for me.
Here we call them "hedge splashers"
Mine has a top blade too.

They are an amazing price to buy on the internet:
http://www.timelesstools.co.uk/billhooks3.htm

I remember thoroughly enjoying using one when I was a child,
when pruning apple trees. The one I used (which was probably
1930s vintage) had far more of a hook-shaped blade (like a
capital letter J) than any I've seen since.

Must remember to try to find another...

Mine has a J shaped blade with another blade on the top so you can
swipe both ways and now it's amazingly sharp..
My house was built in the 30's so maybe it's of that vintage. Just
have to get a handle for it, although I can use it without one as the
iron bit wot had one on once is still there.
To fit a new handle, the top bit would have be sawn off, as there is
something round there that presumably kept the original handle on and
would prevent a new handle being fitted.
Assuming I can find a new handle, and I might be able to, I will have
a lovely old hedge splasher up and running.

Would that have been used for hedge laying too?

No - too long.

A short-handled hook or slasher *might* be used by some, but a short
'pointy' bowsaw or pruning saw is more use.

--
Rusty Hinge