Old 25-07-2013, 03:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
RustyHinge RustyHinge is offline

Default Billhook

On 24/07/13 00:36, Dave Liquorice wrote:

There is at least one on eBay (£6.20 inc)... I'm not sure how you fix
the tang into the handle, just shoving it into a hole in the handle
won't work reliably as use will make it work loose...

A good eye, a spoke-shave and trial and error.

Clean out the flakes of rust, etc from the socket. If there is an old
rivet through it (side-to-side), cut it through with a padsaw - you can
get one (Eclipse make one which takes a hacksaw blade, which should be
fitted so it cuts when you drawit towards you).

When the socket fits the head *snugly*, tap it in by holding it upright
and banging the non-business end on a piece of wood.

Drill through the shoulder so the hole is in line with both holes in the
head. I mark the positions and remove the head and drill the hole
(carefully), then refit the head. Drilling in situ *can* be done, but
it's easy togo off line, and this makes for a weak spot.

Generally, I find a nail which fits tightly into all the holes, cut both
ends off the nail leaving about ¼" proud each side, then find an old
flatiron, cobbler's last, iron weight or best of all, an anvil, and
mushroom over your nail until it completely fills the countersink on the
blade's skirt.

Finish with a file.

--
Rusty Hinge