Old 25-07-2013, 07:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Crocosmia Lucifer and caterpillars.

On 25/07/2013 08:22, Rachel 101 wrote:
Morning everyone,

I was horrified yesterday to see that the Crocosmia Lucifer had been
stripped of most of the flower buds, and I found a couple of
caterpillars who are clearly the guilty parties.

I've never seen Lucifer damaged by caterpillars befo is this a new
problem? Is it due to the weather, in some way? (ie are they lacking
their normal food and turning to Lucifer for a diversion?)

I'd be very grateful to hear if anyone else is experiencing this
problem.

When you find out what they are, let us know. Maybe there's an evolved
form which eats the whole plant, roots and all. I'd welcome it - AFAIAC
Crocosmia is a pernicious weed, one of my "Top five" which I definitely
do not want to see again in the garden (yes, I know that some forms and
cultivars are not that bad, but I wouldn't risk it).

--

Jeff