Old 26-07-2013, 02:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Billhook

"RustyHinge" wrote in message
On 23/07/13 19:08, Christina Websell wrote:

I dug one up in my garden a while ago, very rusty and with no handle.
I got a kind friend of mine to sharpen it on her grindstone and have it
back
suitable to slash anything in its path. Just need a new handle and watch
out those brambles ;-) My friend says if I can get a new handle, she
will
cut the top stop off and put it on for me.
Here we call them "hedge splashers"

Slashers, ITYF

No, we call them hedge splashers here.

Mine has a top blade too.

Proper billhook. (Hatchet-on-a-stick)

Slasher handles *can* be obtained from old-fasioned ironmongers. Hickory
is best - I always manage to break ash handles in pretty short order, even
when linseed-oiled..

I hope to find a handle for it, as I have some brambles that might not want
to see it.
I was lucky to find someone to sharpen my axes and billhook and I tell you
what, they are so so sharp now, I'm slightly afraid of them.
In case you wonder, I need an axe, I have a woodburner.