Old 26-07-2013, 02:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Baz[_3_] Baz[_3_] is offline

Default Grrrr....cabbage whites....

"David.WE.Roberts" wrote in
:

I've sown some old greyhound cabbage seeds in trays to see if they
were still viable and have had a few germinate.

So I had perhaps 6-8 seedlings in two mushroom trays (the brown ones
you buy mushrooms in) out on a shelf down the garden, waiting to be
planted out.

Yesterday they were surrounded by a crowd of cabbage white
butterflies, and the tiny leaves were covered top and bottom with
little white posts which I assume are eggs.

One caterpillar could eat the lot then starve, let alone the tens
which could hatch out.

I've brushed most of the eggs off and the seedlings are now in the
shed for the moment.

However it may now be an even worse year for cabbages.

All those down at the allotments (not mine) which are not netted have
already been savaged by birds and any leaves near the netting have
been got at.

So much so that I decided not to plant any brassicas out for the
moment because I couldn't see them surviving.

There are a few home built fruit cages at the allotment and at least
one plot holder is building a whole allotment cage for everything.

I am seriously considering doing the same because nothing is worse
than putting in a load of work and a load of plants just to see them
all eaten.

Cheers

Dave R

Yes, David.