Old 26-07-2013, 10:17 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Moore[_2_] View Post
What edibles can I try in containers next year in my small garden,
which will not get eaten by slugs and snails?
Bean leaves mostly eaten,so no beans so far, lettuce have all gone, I
have some rocket and spinach coming on, but it's a bit disheartening.
Picked 6 pea pods today, put the peas on to cook and forgot them and
let the pan boil dry. I'd eaten all the previous ones raw but these
were a bit bigger.
Tomatoes at last setting fruit. Fingers crossed I don't get blight
yet!
Peas and broad beans are not immune, but are more slug resistant than runners and french. Try mange-tout or sugar snap, so you can eat the pods too. I've been growing a variety from Real Seeds which has HUGE pods - about 5 inches long - and nice purple flowers, at that's doing very well in a pot about 15 inches square and 18 inches deep.

Carrots are OK. Radishes don't get slugged, but don't seem to do well in containers. Swiss chard does well, also purple sprouting (though you may have problems with caterpillars).

Chicory doesn't seem to get slugged once it's god to about 4 inches tall, I don't know about younger.

I've been growing Sarpo Mira potatoes which are reputed to be slug resistant, and they do seem to be. But they're very floury so not to everyone's taste.