Old 27-07-2013, 12:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Baz[_3_] Baz[_3_] is offline

Default Grrrr....cabbage whites....

"Bob Hobden" wrote in
:

We used to constantly have the same problem and the self built
cages/nets were never easy to get into so there was always a problem
weeding. Some years ago we decided that we would buy a proper fruit
cage for our brassicas 6 metre x 6 metre. Yes it was expensive but
it's our hobby too so cheaper than playing golf or a season ticket for
football etc. Now we can move it every year around our plot (4 year
rotation) in a day, and we can both get in and weed with a hoe
standing up straight which is important for me as I have arthritis of
the spine. A number of other plot holders have followed our lead and
bought " brassica" cages too.

Bad luck with the arthritis, hope it's not too bad for you.

For others who don't want to spend too much money, I use debris netting,
held up with bamboo canes with pop bottles on top, so the canes don't wear
holes in the netting. Weeding is not easy but it is a relativly cheap
method. A 50m X 3m roll of bebris netting cost me £50 a few years ago. And
it has no signs of rotting or breaking up. So it seems to be a one off
purchase.

http://tinyurl.com/pohvybr

Baz