Old 28-07-2013, 08:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Cow Pond, The Great Park, Windsor

"Janet" wrote
??? ISTR it never was a "cowpond" ( drinking/cooling place for cows);
it was originally designed and constructed as a classic expanse of
water in a formal,controlled, designed landscape. The so-called cow pond
was inspired by the formal canals at Versailles.

They've restored it to the original, very formal design intention.

That is my point, it is exactly like them restoring the Lost Gardens of
Heligan to their original garden formal glory. It would lose a lot in the
process and become just another formal garden.
Why not restore it to before it was made formal, a muddy field with a proper
cow pond perhaps, who decides what period in time it "has" to be restored
to.
We used to go there to picnic on a sunny day, it used to be one of our
"places", but it's now quite depressing as we both just think of how it used
to be, slightly wild and mysterious and full of life.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.