Old 28-07-2013, 07:28 PM posted to rec.gardens
Gus[_2_] Gus[_2_] is offline

Default squirrels, again

"Brooklyn1" wrote in message

They may not be squirrels, other critters will eat tomatoes, field
mice and voles love them, so do chipmunks. Perhaps you need a couple
of cats... I have two ferral cats living in my barn and there are many
more around. The community of ferral cats patrol all night, other
than insects I get very little critter damage in my garden.

I'm sure it's squirrels, at leastly a large majority. I saw a damn one
running down my driveway with a tomato in it's mouth. And the one-bite
remants of tomatoes are often during daylight and left where I know the
squirrel(s) traverse, such as on the old deck railing.

If I got a feral cat someone would probably steal it or adopt it. I see
a neighbor cat once in a while, passing through but rarely. There was
one coming to my porch and sleeping on my wicker chair cushion in the
afternoon. I started to put treats out for it to encourage it to come
by, but after a couple weeks it stopped and have never seen it again.
I hope a raccoon or dog did not get it; it's been a few months since I
last saw it. I suppose I could get a cat cheap at Animal Control that
has not been declawed and is okay outside?

My garden is about 200' from my house. Every morning I put a big
handful of peanuts out with the bird seed I put on the table on my
deck... I add seed all day but no more peanuts... I'll never give a
cent to charities for
people... I see way too many able bodied people paying for groceries
with food stamps, and then get into a Lexus...

I got some whole raw peanuts this morning and threw 7 out front. I
should go see if they are still there. It was $2.29 for a medium-ish
bag. Maybe I can find some bulk cheaper. I like peanuts myself, so
would wouldn't mind having some around... I deferred on bird seed. Had
a bag in my cart, but it seemed kind of pricey.

My ex gets food stamps, and she is poor. She has a decent car, but it
was some sort of deal with the first ex a few years ago. So she has a
decent 6 year old Jetta, but she can't afford gas or repairs for it and
is always driving on E. (How driving near E saves any money, I never
understood.)