Old 28-07-2013, 10:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Rose that won't open fully

On 28/07/2013 21:53, Timothy Murphy wrote:

I have a climbing rose that flowers profusely (white flowers)
but very few of the flowers open out properly.
Most half open, and stay that way until they die.

Is this likely to be due to some lack in the soil?
And is there any treatment that might solve the problem?

Any suggestion or advice gratefully received.

Some roses do it more than others, but have a look at the link below on
rose 'balling'. It used to be called 'capping' in my day, but the
effect is the same. Not a lot you can do. If I see it in time, and
have the time, I will clean away the outer petals so the rose can still
expand. However, that's a lot of trouble on a climbing rose or
floribunda, but arguably worth it if it's a new rose and you've never
seen it flower before. In most cases, as with yours, I see it too late
and have to cut out the affected flowers and wait for more :-/.

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/...e.aspx?pid=627

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London