Old 29-07-2013, 11:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
sacha sacha is offline

Default Space filling ideas

On 2013-07-29 11:55:00 +0100, Baz said:

sacha wrote in
:

On 2013-07-28 08:21:13 +0000, Kate said:

Hi

We have a long strip of soil, 6" wide by about 40 foot long, running
alongside an access path between a fence and a wall (so full shade).

For along time this was just overgrown with weeds, but now hubby has
cleared it

I don't want to spend much as it's a bit out of the way, but I'd just
like something to fill the space and look slightly nicer than mixed
weeds.

Any ideas for plants that will grow quickly from seed to fill a large
but thin space like this, not get too tall or too wild to obstruct
the path, and won't mind the shade?

Thanks

Hostas and gravel on top of the soil?

Sacha, why gravel on top of the soil? Just asking.

Baz

To discourage the slugs. It also sets the Hostas off well and seems to
suit them!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com