Old 29-07-2013, 09:42 PM posted to rec.gardens
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default cucumber picked too early

On Mon, 29 Jul 2013 10:16:21 -0400, "Gus"
wrote:

First year that I am actually getting cucumbers and I picked one a
couple days ago that was greenish on top, but after picked noticed it
was mostly yellow on bottom. Will it ripen like a tomato if I leave it
on the counter or out on the deck rail? Will the yellow ever turn
green, it does not seem to be changing at all.

Once picked cucumbers do not ripen... however there is no reason you
can't eat a young cuke, actually they taste better and are more tender
than the ones picked later... the more you pick the more your plant
will produce, so pick often and don't let cukes get too large, no more
than 4" is perfect. And the early harvested ones are best for
pickling too. Cucumbers are actually the plant's fruit, that's why
they are filled with seeds, the plant is mightily attempting to
reproduce and will keep trying by producing more fruit filled seeds
for as long as as you keep picking before the seeds mature. Cucumber
skin color indicates absolutely nothing... why are you so hung up on
skin color, are you racist?