Old 30-07-2013, 12:00 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default cucumber picked too early

Gus wrote:
First year that I am actually getting cucumbers and I picked one a
couple days ago that was greenish on top, but after picked noticed it
was mostly yellow on bottom. Will it ripen like a tomato if I leave
it on the counter or out on the deck rail? Will the yellow ever turn
green, it does not seem to be changing at all.

Ripeness does not apply to cucumbers and zuccinis. We eat them immature,
that is before the seeds fully develop because we don't like seeds in our
food and the flavour can be better when they are young. A gherkin is a very
immature cucumber. This is the opposite of (say) melons or pumpkins where
the flavour reaches a peak when the seeds are mature. Judge your cukes by
flavour and texture not colour. If you want to save seeds of cucumbers you
have to let the seeds mature by whcih time the flesh will be rather watery
and tastless.

David