Old 30-07-2013, 01:30 AM posted to rec.gardens
Frank Frank is offline

Default squirrels, again

On 7/29/2013 10:10 AM, Gus wrote:
The peanuts are gone again. I threw about 7-8 in the side of the front
yard early this morning. I assume squirrels forage soon after sunrise?
And best to put out peanuts then, and maybe again in the afternoon?

The container of water I put in the front was completely empty and dry.
Could be raccoon or opposum or other animals though. The container in
the back, didn't look like any water was gone.

So far, no half eaten tomatoes lying around But it's just been a
couple days.

I think it is a mistake to put anything out to attract them.

This article says squirrel forage range is 1 to 100 acres but they can
travel up to 50 miles:

http://icwdm.org/handbook/rodents/TreeSquirrels.asp

My wife did not mind them coming to the bird feeder on our deck in the
winter and this year after taking it down a couple of months before I
set out tomatoes in pots, I watched squirrels coming back for weeks
looking for the feeder.

Old guy in the park would walk around with peanuts for the squirrels.
I watched a squirrel come out once and follow him even though he had no
peanuts.

Feeding them is just training them to come around and if pickings are
sparse elsewhere you may attract more in.