Old 30-07-2013, 03:53 AM posted to rec.gardens
Gus[_2_] Gus[_2_] is offline

Default squirrels, again

"Dan Espen" wrote in message
"Gus" writes:

Tomorrow morning, I pull all the tomatoes no matter what size...
After putting out water, peanuts, vinegar on rags, chicken wire--
another half eaten tomato on the deck rail this evening.

Netting.

Go to hardware store, buy deer netting.
Get stakes or some other material to build frame around plants.S
Frame must have door.
Staple netting to frame.

Netting must go to ground and cover sides and top.

There are other material than deer netting
like chicken wire. You need a physical barrier,
not a diversion.

I was going to do that a couple years ago, and by the time I was done
had spent $60 at Lowes. Couple days later, I returned everything. I
love tomatoes but I'm on a tight budget and decided garden ones aren't
$60+ better than grocery ones.

I would love to grow my own tomatoes, last year I had a decent amount
and they were great. I think once the squirrels get into tomatoes they
are hard to keep out. Last year I never had a problem till end of
August and even then was only a few lost. My dad never had problems
with them in Erie. Rabbits were more an issue there, we had trees
around the area but my dad never had squirrels steal his tomatoes.
Maybe I should move to Erie?