Old 30-07-2013, 07:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Veg in containers

"Pam Moore" wrote...

"Bob Hobden" wrote:

"Pam Moore" wrote ...

What edibles can I try in containers next year in my small garden,
which will not get eaten by slugs and snails?
Bean leaves mostly eaten,so no beans so far, lettuce have all gone, I
have some rocket and spinach coming on, but it's a bit disheartening.
Picked 6 pea pods today, put the peas on to cook and forgot them and
let the pan boil dry. I'd eaten all the previous ones raw but these
were a bit bigger.
Tomatoes at last setting fruit. Fingers crossed I don't get blight
yet!

Pam, I'm a great advocate of growing Carrots in containers for two
reasons,
firstly you can keep them up and away from the carrot root fly and
secondly
it allows you to give the carrots the sort of sandy open soil they like.
The
latter is especially good if, like us, you garden on heavy clay/silt (now
concrete due to the dry).

I sowed some carrot seed in a big pot. Germination: 1 carrot!

That is down to rubbish seed Pam. We have also suffered that too in the
past. I'm not sure if it's too old or they damage it too much rubbing off
all the sharp edges so they can handle it. If you grow carrots for seed
yourself you will see what I mean, they are rough and nothing like what you
buy.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.