Old 30-07-2013, 11:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Aid to cut a small hedge straight

On 30/07/2013 08:02, Broadback wrote:

I have no eye, so my straight lines aren't. I try running string the
length of the hedge, but that does not work well, apart from anything
else I tend to keep cutting the string, also of course it bows in the
middle. Is there any way of ensuring I cut my mini hedge straight? I
have a laser level, but sadly that does not show up in the bright
outdoors. TIA

Length of scrap washing line or a piece of long thin wood as a straight
edge guide depending on what you are trying to cut and how accurately.

I generally do my big hedge by eye aided and abetted by my wife judging
it for straight from a distance. That way it isn't my fault. I also trim
it periodically when the sun is almost perpendicular to the front
surface to tidy up any stragglers that are sticking out.

It is incredibly difficult to judge straight lines from close to by eye
unless you have some easy way to hold the cutter at constant height.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown