Old 25-04-2003, 11:56 PM
John Savage

Default edible leaves

On the tele the other day they were talking about the edible leaves:
mulberry, sweet potato, and hibiscus. The sampler reported mulberry as
not tasting very nice, sweet potato to be quite sweet, but hibiscus was
best of all. Can't say I've tried any, but the way sweet potatoes thrive
in even poor soil, they might be a good prospect! I once planted a white
sprouting sweet potato in rich soil, and the runners spread to fill half
the yard. Towards the end of summer I decided I'd dig a small area each
couple of days, depending how many kg of tubers I found. :-)

I started digging, and dug and dug. Within an hour I'd dug the whole
plant out, and the only tuber I found was the original one I'd planted!

I recall that the violet leaf is edible, reputedly having some medicinal
properties.
--
John Savage (news reply email invalid; keep news replies in newsgroup)