Old 30-07-2013, 11:48 PM posted to rec.gardens
Gus[_2_] Gus[_2_] is offline

Default squirrels, again

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
songbird wrote:
Brooklyn1 wrote:
True, home vegetable gardening is a hobby... the definition of a
hobby is something one does for enjoyment but costs money, once it
shows a profit it's called a business... no way a home vegetable
garden saves money.

we save between $500-$1500/yr in food costs.

so yes, there is a way...

songbird

This is one of Brooklyn's little bugbears. Because he can't save
money from his veges therefore nobody else can either. In reality the
outcome is most variable. Some people pour money into it and get very
little return and some people spend little and get much. It's a
matter of skill and situation.

I love to having a garden and it is not about saving money, but it is a
fair amount of work and patience, and so frustrating when squirrels take
what I planted and nurtured. Fresh garden tomatoes are the best
vegetable there is. But alas my skills are not on par with the lowly
squirrel. I surrender to the little mammal with better gardening street
skills.