Old 31-07-2013, 07:02 PM posted to rec.gardens
Frank Frank is offline

Default squirrels, again

On 7/30/2013 6:53 PM, Gus wrote:
"Frank" wrote in message
Just as I walked into my family room a couple of winters ago, I heard
a snap trap go off in the adjacent utility room.

Getting trap and mouse, I decided to flush him rather than open the
door to the cold.

He splashed into the bowl and revived, desperately trying to escape,
so I flushed him.

He now resides in my septic system with a diet of stink bugs

I wonder how long a mouse can survive? I had one in a trap in a brown
paper bag once in the morning and assumed it was dead, but was running
late for work and so decided to deal with it after work... When I got
home, the trap was empty.

I prefer snap traps. I caught one in a holding trap that I had not checked
for a while and just got a stinking carcass. Poison inside the house
can also lead to stink. Glue traps are torture. I've seen them gnaw
off a leg to try to escape. As I discovered, the snap traps may not
just break their neck but suffocate them. Still preferred to suffering
in other traps.

I believe life span of mice and rats is about 3 years and most that
don't suffer predation, expire of cancer. Mice are used to test
chemical toxicity as they do not have a throw-up mechanism. The
chemicals are injected down their throats with a blunt syringe.