Old 31-07-2013, 06:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Let it be Let it be is offline

Default I'm livid

Victoria Conlan wrote:
Let It Be wrote:
As for the OP, consider youself damned lucky, I planted a whole pack
of seed peas this year and what did I get in return -------- just
three of the beggers to just show their heads through the earth. In
temper, I ripped 'em up and planted annual flowers in their place to
keep SWMBO happy - and the rest of the seed peas must have acted
like a flower fertiliser as the flowers are going great guns.

Did you plant them early? My boys planted a little wigwam of peas
each that they got from school (Birds Eye ones, no less), and they
got a total of 1 plant between them. I planted 2 rows a month or two
later, and they have all* come up, and are now threatening to engulf
the carrots and beetroot in the patch between them.

I suspect it may be to do with the early warm weather supressing
germination and now the later cooler then wetter weather encouraging
them.

Remember, seeds don't have a calendar!

They were 'early peas' but due to the weather, I left it a few weeks to
plant them. As for the lack of success, that could be down to several
factors - including a duff batch of seeds from my local (usually reliable)
supplier.

Just the luck of the draw - win some, lose some as - as my green-fingered
late grandfather used to say when tending his massive (around an acre) veg
garden that used to feed the family all-year round - along supply bacon,
eggs and chickens he used to keep and slaughter for sale.