Old 01-08-2013, 12:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Good plants for all year north wall baskets

On 31/07/2013 22:30, Tim Watts wrote:
Hi,

2nd attempt - less wordy version

I'm after some ideas for wall trough plants that look good all year, and
don't mind being on a north wall (good light, no direct sunlight). I want to
cover a wall with a mixture of things.

If some happen to be edible - that would be a bonus...

Any suggestions would be most appreciated :

Thank you kindly -

Tim

You don't say how big your troughs are but, if there *is* good light,
you could try Skimmia, Fuchsia, Begonia, Impatiens, Ajuga and Vinca (as
fill-in trailers), Polyanthus primulas, Heucheras (for both foliage and
flowers), Campanula portenschlagiana, Brunnera 'Jack Frost'(small blue
flowers in spring), smaller Hellebores and smaller Bergenias. You could
use early spring bulbs like Snowdrops (Galanthus) and Crocus (I have
some in a north-facing woodland border) to start the year off and feed
early-flying insects.

The nature of most woodland flowers is to flower early before the tree
canopy steals all the light, so you probably won't get year-round colour
from flowers. However, by using foliage colour with Heucheras and
Brunnera 'Jack Frost'and variegated Fuchsias and euonymous, you will be
able to create longer lasting colour. It is also true to say that even
the flowering plants may flower less in shade than in sun, but you
should still get a reasonable show.

Because some of the foliage plants I've suggested make large, bold
leaves, you may need to keep a close eye on watering as rainfall may not
reach the soil due to the 'umbrella' effect. Also, if a bird chooses to
nest in your troughs, you may not be able to interfere until the
flegdelings have flown.

Hope this helps.

--
Spider