Thread: Frog-less pond
View Single Post
  #1   Report Post  
Old 01-08-2013, 09:00 PM

First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Aug 2013
Default Frog-less pond

Hi there! Bit of a weird question this....

After living in gardenless flats since leaving home I am FINALLY on the verge of renting a house with a small garden! Hooray! I loved gardening as a child and a teenager so it's really great news. My favourite aspect of gardening has always been water-gardening (Charlie Dimmock inspired me!) and I'm keen to create a tub/container pond next spring in the new place.

The problem with all of that is that I have a bizarre but very real fear of frogs. I don't know where it came from, but for as long as I can remember if I saw a frog hopping about on the patio or sitting out of the water in the shade I would run a mile.

So my question really is how high would I need to raise the tub pond up to minimise the chances of frogs getting in? I know nothing can be guaranteed, but I'd like to make it as hard for them as possible. I mean them no ill-will, I just don't want to encounter them!

If it helps the garden in question is in quite an urban area, and I'd be locating the tub pond on the decking by the back door of the house.

Any thoughts are much appreciated, I know it's a bit weird!

Matthew