Old 01-08-2013, 06:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike'[_4_] 'Mike'[_4_] is offline

Default horse chestnut disease

"""and you will notice brown excretions of sap from the bark and
serious dieback if not death."""

as in

http://www.myalbum.co.uk/Album=ZQGFXRKH

which has also got to come down.

Mike

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message ...

"Pam Moore" wrote

Someone recently mentioned a diseased horse chestnut.
There is a large specimen in our town. 2 years ago the leaves
gradually turned a dark chocolate colour. I kept an eye on it last
summer but there was no sign of it recurring. The tree looked
perfectly healthy. Today I noticed it looking decidedly brown.
Is this a disease? Will it eventually kill the tree?

There are more than one "diseases" affecting Horse Chestnuts these days, the
one all the trees around here suffer from is the leaf miner which makes all
the leaves turn brown by the end of this month and weakens the tree over the
years such that the conkers are smaller and fewer. the one
that kills the trees quickly is a fungus disease, a bit like Dutch Elm

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/...e.aspx?pid=533

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/...e.aspx?pid=183

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.