Old 01-08-2013, 10:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Frog-less pond

On 01/08/2013 21:00, Justadmin88 wrote:
Hi there! Bit of a weird question this....

After living in gardenless flats since leaving home I am FINALLY on the
verge of renting a house with a small garden! Hooray! I loved gardening
as a child and a teenager so it's really great news. My favourite aspect
of gardening has always been water-gardening (Charlie Dimmock inspired
me!) and I'm keen to create a tub/container pond next spring in the new
place.

The problem with all of that is that I have a bizarre but very real fear
of frogs. I don't know where it came from, but for as long as I can
remember if I saw a frog hopping about on the patio or sitting out of
the water in the shade I would run a mile.

So my question really is how high would I need to raise the tub pond up
to minimise the chances of frogs getting in? I know nothing can be
guaranteed, but I'd like to make it as hard for them as possible. I mean
them no ill-will, I just don't want to encounter them!

If it helps the garden in question is in quite an urban area, and I'd be
locating the tub pond on the decking by the back door of the house.

Any thoughts are much appreciated, I know it's a bit weird!

Matthew

It's not wierd at all. I understand just how difficult it can make your
life. My best friend has a frog phobia, and I was once terrified of
spiders. Now I love them!

Start by asking your neighbours if they have ponds and frogs. If
they're very local to you, you might see frogs, pond or not. Sorry to
worry you :~(.

Otherwise I think you just have to take the risk. Having a pond in a
tub or barrel is going to make it hard for them anyway. They need a
'beach' or other manageable approach. However, if there are local
ponds, froggie may well wander into your garden. Since they like cool,
damp cover, I suggest you avoid putting any large-leaved plants near
your pond, where they might hide. This is a shame, really, because
ponds look quite good surrounded by large leaves. Nevermind. If you
put your barrel pond on your decking, any plants near the pond will
presumably be in pots also?

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London