Old 01-08-2013, 10:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] damduck-egg@yahoo.co.uk is offline

Default Frog-less pond

On Thu, 1 Aug 2013 22:00:21 +0200, Justadmin88
wrote:

Hi there! Bit of a weird question this....

After living in gardenless flats since leaving home I am FINALLY on the
verge of renting a house with a small garden! Hooray!

The problem with all of that is that I have a bizarre but very real fear
of frogs. I don't know where it came from,

Exactly the same as my neighbour who thinks it stems from incident
when she was about 5 when a slightly older brother put one in her
clothing. I get called to retrieve them from her garden to put in my
Pond from which they probably came and will wander back to her flower
pot stack whenever they feel like it. I mentioned that I seen a small
grass snake around the pond that would eat some frogs but that didn't
go down too well as she doesn't like snakes either.

So my question really is how high would I need to raise the tub pond up
to minimise the chances of frogs getting in? I know nothing can be
guaranteed, but I'd like to make it as hard for them as possible.

They are fairly agile creatures* and I have seen some in our garden
resting on part of a wooden fence 4ft above the ground, though it
most likely climbed vegetation to get there.
Vertical sides of a patio pond greater than 2ft 6" or so they might
find harder.
If it helps the garden in question is in quite an urban area, and I'd be
locating the tub pond on the decking by the back door of the house.
Any thoughts are much appreciated, I know it's a bit weird!

To be honest if you have decking and there is any damp and shade then
you may find them living under that anyway ,possibly Toads instead of
Frogs. Both are amphibians not water creatures and spend a
considerable part of their existence out of water.

* Found a froglet on the seat of the indoors upstairs Loo many years
ago on our farm. It's still a mystery how it got there,the water did
come from a well but it seems unlikely it got through the Lister Pump
and a ball valve. The gauze filter on the intake had fallen off
though.

G.Harman