Old 02-08-2013, 11:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Rain Radar

On 02/08/13 10:34, News wrote:
On 30/07/2013 11:32, wrote:
In article ,
Tom Gardner wrote:

Oh, you lucky person, you've clearly only got one
machine one location, unlike me

I use 3 machines regularly, and others on occasion, and still manage
to use bookmarks. And, no, they do not share home directories.

Not quite fitting the bill, but LastPass could to some extent be your friend. It is more suitable for sites that you log in at rather than general favourites. I can usually find the site, but not the
username and password. I'm not prepared to have the same pword for every site or postit notes on the screen - some of the only options for those of us with colanders in the pan.

It is great for this (and does a lot of other stuff too, such as form filling, secure poassword generation etc.). It remembers the url, the user name and the pword - securely, in all main browsers
and across platforms and machines. It can remove all the insecure pwords that the browser holds.

I'd recommend it thoroughly. I've investigated it a fair bit - and have used it for a couple of years and my logins have never been so secure. And I'm happy that the cloud based vault is secure
enough for me. Those not prepared to trust the cloud with data at all may vary in that view...

I prefer not to have a single-point-of-attack/failure. Who knows
- whether the company is legit (or the company to which the
company is sold in 5 years time)

- whether it (or servers or operators for cloud services)
has any weaknesses that can be exploited by blackhats

- whether using it would cause liability problems, e.g. it gives a
financial company plausible deniability when your account
is emptied, "broke Ts&Cs by writing it down and/or not keeping
it secure" or similar weasel words

At least "my way" I can understand and contain the issues - even
though they may be less secure in some senses.