Old 02-08-2013, 08:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
sacha sacha is offline

Default Seaside shrub

On 2013-08-02 13:40:48 +0100, Spider said:

On 02/08/2013 12:05, Sacha wrote:
Yesterday, we took the grandson to Blackpool Sands and on the way from
the car park, walking towards the café area, there was a very attractive
silvery grey shrub. It was about 4' tall, not flowering and the foliage
was quite 'soft', not in a new growth way but more as if that was its
habit. I'd say the leaves were probably about Fuchsia size but the
colour was distinctly silver-grey. Ray feels he's seen it before but
can't bring its name to the surface. It's obviously salt tolerant but
may be tender away from the seaside. Would anyone have any ideas from
this descriptioon?

A few ideas come to mind: Ballota hirsuta or B. pseudodictamus;
Helichrysum petiolare, Phlomis sp., Salvia sp., or Teucrium fruticans.

Any of those work for you?

The colour is very similar to the Helichrysum but it's none of those and
the leaves aren't hairy. We either have or know all the ones you
mention and it's none of those, unfortunately. But thank you!

Time to get a camera or a smartphone :-)

The really, really irritating thing is that I had the camera with me in
my basket! I was so busy shepherding the small one on and off the
beach, avoiding people on the pavement, cars driving in or out and
wasps, that I never even thought of it. If we go back in that
direction, I'll certainly take a photo. In the meantime, I've emailed
them asking if they can tell me what it is. As Blackpool Sands is owned
by someone who has a plantsman's garden right behind the Sands and
occasionally open to the public, I may be lucky. It will probably turn
out to be something really well known and we'll hang our heads!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com